Remove this ad

Lead

May 18 15 10:19 PM

Tags : :

Hi

I've noticed the new format you're using for the Youtube feeds, and I have a small concern. You embed the video directly in the feed, but this has the side effect that the ads don't play, which in turn means the people that create those videos aren't getting any money for those views. While I don't think any of the creators are going to missing the amount of ad revenue they'd lose to people watching it on The Old Reader, I don't think this is a particularly nice thing to do to them.

Also, could you maybe hide all but the first line of the description, some people like to fill the descriptions up with lots of superfluous links.

Thanks & Regards
elFarto
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 19 15 5:14 AM

Hello

Forgive me for my ignorance here, I'm not a YouTube expert in the least. According to the YouTube documentation, ads should play in embedded videos if the user has them enabled: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/132596?hl=en.

It would seem very odd to me that embedded videos wouldn't have ads, as that would allow someone to easily circumvent YouTube's revenue stream completely.

Regarding the descriptions, I'm sure there's just as many people who don't include superfluous information the descriptions who do, so I think for the time being we're planning on keeping the entire description in the video. I think we'd rather have more information than less available to our users here.

Let me know about the YouTube ads. We certainly don't want to cut off the publisher's opportunity to get paid for their work if possible.

Thanks
The Old Reader Team

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

May 19 15 11:03 AM

Hmm, I'm getting ads on videos now, that wasn't happening earlier. I must have just got a video with no ads on when I tested.

Also, I've noticed there's no full screen button.

Regards
elFarto

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

May 19 15 12:35 PM

Hello

We're going to update the feeds shortly to enable full screen. Thanks for reporting.

The Old Reader Team

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#6 [url]

Feb 25 16 7:08 PM

elFarto wrote:
Hi

I've noticed the new format you're using for the Youtube feeds, and I have a small concern. You embed the video directly in the feed, but this has the side effect that the ads don't play, which in turn means the people that create those videos aren't getting any money for those views. While I don't think any of the creators are going to missing the amount of ad revenue they'd lose to people watching it on The Old Reader, I don't think this is a particularly nice thing to do to them.

Also, could you maybe hide all but the first line of the description, some people like to fill the descriptions up with lots of superfluous links.

Thanks & Regards
elFarto

hi 

i have upload this video about one rfid reader manufacturer on youtube " target="_blank" rel="nofollow">.

take it for example.

when people use youtube feeds, it means they could create superfluous links at the same time?

thanks.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help